TH | EN
  • Thai Traditional Massage
  • >
  • Thai Traditional Medical School

Thai Traditional Medical School

Thai traditional medical science can be found throughout all of the Thai community, with certain cures from herbs and other ingredients. 

In the old day, there were 2 types of doctors: a Royal doctor and a local one. At the start of the Rattanakosin period, King Rama III appointed a Royal doctor, Phraya Bamroer Rajaphat, as the chief to engrave the knowledge of Thai traditional medical science around the cloisters, Phra Maha Chedis and Sala Rai.

In 1856, King Rama V appointed his royal doctors to translate the great edition of Pali-Sanskrit into Thai version; indexing the books as Medical Handbook – Royal Edition. 

Being the base of Thai Medicine, Wat Pho Thai Traditional Medical and Massage School was opened in 1955 inside Wat Pho. It is the first Thai Medical School under the approval of Thai Ministry of Education. The school presently offers 4 basic courses of Thai Medicine that are Thai Pharmacy, Thai medical practice, Thai Midwife Nurse and Thai Massage.

For course information, please visit: http://www.watpomassage.com